Beware of hidden costs!
Rental is one thing, but that’s not all. If you haven’t clarified everything beforehand with the landlord, you might discover some additional costs!
Some extra costs are avoidable, while others aren’t. Here are some points:
- Find out immediately whether the flat is being rented “cold” or “warm”. If the rental is “cold”, heating is extra.
- The tenant usually pays for his own electricity consumption. Costs can be reduced but paying for electricity is unavoidable.
- Running costs can be quite considerable, especially in condominiums. Find out about the communal expenses.
- In Italy, each household is liable for an annual TV/radio licence fee to the public broadcaster. At an annual cost of about € 90, it’s hard to avoid. Though theoretically possible, exemptions are bureaucratic and difficult to obtain.
- Ask the landlord about the down payment (deposit) for the leased property.
- If you use an agent, there are brokerage commissions. Feel free to ask us how much.