Klausen (German pronunciation: [ˈklaʊ̯sn̩]; Italian: Chiusa [ˈkjuːza]; Ladin: Tluses or Tlüses) is a comune (municipality) in South Tyrol in northern Italy, located about 20 kilometres (12 mi) northeast of the city of Bolzano.
As of 30 November 2010, it had a population of 5,144 and an area of 51.4 square kilometres (19.8 sq mi).
Klausen borders the following municipalities: Feldthurns, Lajen, Sarntal, Vahrn, Villanders and Villnöß.
The municipality of Klausen contains the frazioni (subdivisions, mainly villages and hamlets) Gufidaun (Gudon), Latzfons (Lazfons), and Verdings (Verdignes).
The emblem represents an argent dexter key on gules. The emblem was used as a seal from 1448, known from 1397 and granted in 1540 by Cardinal Bernhard von Cles Bishop of Brixen.
According to the 2011 census, 91.30% of the population speak German, 7.88% Italian and 0.81% Ladin as first language.
Media related to Klausen at Wikimedia Commons
(German) (Italian) Homepage of the municipality
... Read more...